Sunday, September 18, 2011

"And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave"

As I was walking home earlier today, I thought about how we don't have nearly enough American flags in our apartment. In fact, we don't have a single one. It's such a shame. I think this week's mission (one out of many, actually) should be to purchase an American flag. I hope my roommates don't disagree.

The actual reason to why I started thinking about our lack of a flag is the flag we saw yesterday. Over 200 years old, is the national treasure that is kept at the National Museum of American History - The Star-Spangled Banner that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the song that became the national anthem of the United States of America.

This huge piece of English wool was, without a doubt, my favorite installation at the museum. Amazing. A symbol, for sure, and with the lyrics of the national anthem underneath very powerful. I want an American flag at our place. I think that's the way to do it - go all in!


No comments:

Post a Comment